Monday, May 5, 2008

Derby Day

Well despite the events of last night. Yesterday is usually one of my favorite days of the year. It is the Run for the Roses. I do not follow horse racing like I do other sports, but I love the Triple Crown Races (The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness, and The Belmont Stakes) This year's race was a rare moment in sports and in life for that matter, it lived up to its hype. The winning horse, Big Brown, the favorite showed why when he became the 1st horse since the 1920's to win from the 20th post. The Race also was marked by tragedy when the horse who came in 2nd, a phillie named Eight Belles, had to be put to sleep after the race b/c she broke both front ankles. Put this into perspective. This is like the Olympic silver medalist collapsing of of a heart attack while still on the track.

But the reason I put this post up is b/c The Kentucky Derby is more than a race its an event. And I said in my first post there are several things in my life that I would like to do and see. One of them is go to the Derby. This got me thinking about other sporting events or venues i would like to see live. so i compiled my top 10. There are some that would be very unlikely b/c of finance or they might not even happen.


10. A Small Conference College Tourney Chamionship Game (Winner goes Dancin)
9. A Montreal Canadiens home game
8. The Kentucky Derby
7. NHL Finals game 7 in Detroit
6. The Winter Olympics especially Gold Medal Hockey game
5. A Yankees- Red Sox game in Fenway Park (Complete w/ a #3 Yankee Jersey)
4. A Notre Dame Football Game
3. The Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Weekend
2. Super Bowl
1. World Series game 7 @ Yankee Stadium


My friend Frankie and I have a deal. That if either one of us ever win the lottery. We would take a 2 month leave of absence from work and drive cross country visiting every Major League Stadium. So that is really the ultimate dream

Honorable Mention- A Cubs game at Wrigley Field, NCAA Final 4, NCAA Wrestling Tourney, Summer Olympics, Belmont Stakes w/ the Triple Crown on the line.

So what is your Sports Dream? Vote in the Poll to the right and leave a comment. But I want some form or realism, so lets keep the Mets winning a World Series or Jets Winning a Superbowl Pipe Dreams to yourself.

4 comments:

ChefMichele said...

See, now ya had to go and ruin it with the comment about leaving the Mets or Jets winning out of it.....LOL Actually I would love to go to a Superbowl or any NFL game, since I have never been to one. I think that would be exciting for me, as long as it were 2 really great teams playing. LOL. Well I am definitely thinking about starting a Blog now. It would keep my busy in my down time on Fire Island and could be cool. Only problem is I am not sure I really would have much of interest to say, and really would anyone read it? I dont know if I could handle noone reading it....LMAO Maybe I will just be an avid reader of the 3 diff family blogs we have now, and live vicariously thru them and make long, uninteresting, unitelligent, and nonsensicle comment posts on everyone elses blogs....yah I can do that!!!

Unknown said...

I would want to see the last day of a series of one day matches in Cricket between India and Pakistan. I would want to see that match in India, with India winning, with tons of security.

I was there for the FIRST one-day that they played in over a decade. Everything stopped. We watched the end of the match on a small TV in a leather store in a mall in Chennai.

I think that spectacle would be an event greater than the Superbowl, World Series and Stanley Cup wrapped into one.

Joe Lessard said...

That is a great comment Scott. Sounds like when my friend arrived in Rome they day of the World Cup final.

The Jon-Paul Lessards! said...

Blah Blah Blah, cricket match, schmicket match, blah blah blah, "great comment (suckup)" blah blah blah. Go to Astoria park any Sunday if you want to watch a cricket match, I will take a game 7 mets vs. anyone, any day. Out of the leather store and into the stadium. BASEBALL, hotdogs, apple pie and CHEVROLET.

Jill! OUT!
xoxox